Wednesday, January 29, 2014

You can be certain.

 

Today is another snow day. I love not having class and work...but I'm not about being trapped in my house for the foreseeable future. Snow days are typically relaxing and stress free days used to catch up on assignments or snuggle up under blankets and nap the afternoon away. At my house, snow days are kind-of a nightmare. We wake up early so that we can clean off our cars and shovel pathways out of the house in case of an emergency. The minute we aren't prepared...something will go wrong. Constantly prepping for an emergency sucks the fun out of a snow day. While brushing off my car this morning I pushed snow into the wind. It came back and hit me in the face. I quickly became wet and annoyed. It was my fault and I should have seen it coming. The snow pelted my face much like sand would on a windy day - it stung but quickly went away. I stopped being productive and began to watch my brother play in the snow. I felt bad for him because we live on a cul-de-sac and have older neighbors. Snow days aren't so fun when you're 8 and nobody wants to play outside. He was throwing snow in the air and trying to catch it on his tongue. It didn't seem to bother him that the flakes would pelt his face as they fell. I kept my distance because I knew Michael would want to snowball fight and I wasn't ready to be pelted with more snow. It reminded me of our old house in Norfolk. When Caroline and I were little, we actually had a legitimate snow day. There were neighborhood kids on our street that wanted to snow ball fight. I remember walking outside all bundled up and being pelted with snowballs to the stomach and face. These kids were older and didn't understand how unfair it was to peg two little girls in hot pink coats and Barbie boots...especially before we even had a chance to hide. Don't worry though, my mom came out in slippers and flannel PJ pants to set them straight. Those kids learned their lesson that day...they never spoke of the snow ball situation or played with us again. My mom was determined to make sure snow ball attacks didn't happen to any other little people like us. I've thought a lot about my mom today. She's stayed inside and napped through most of the day - but she loved snow. She could always be found with her nose pressed up against the glass saying "Look girls! It's coming down"! She would make snowmen and snow angels with us until we were all frozen and desperate for hot chocolate. I'm not sure who had more fun - my sister and I or my mom, but we all played together and didn't waste a minute. We were certain that it had been the best snow day ever. Now, we've had many snow days since '98, but each one was considered 'the best day ever' because we all had such a good time. How were we certain it was the best? Because our hearts were glowing and overflowing with the miracle of snow and the blessing of quality family time.

When I was in kindergarten at Granby Elementary, there was a boy named Brandon Dixon, and he had a huge crush on me. He brought me roses and serenaded me with that "Easy Breezy Beautiful Cover Girl" song they used to play in commercials. I should have been flattered...but he just annoyed me. He was the kid who wouldn't take 'no' for an answer - I mean his persistence was incredible. One day on the playground he tried to talk to me when I was with my friends. I did what my mom had told me to do and ignored him. I don't remember exactly who was there or what he was saying, but I'll never forget what he did to set me off. He reached up and pulled one of my pigtails. You NEVER pull a pigtail - not only is it painful but it makes the pigtails uneven and you look like a fool with lopsided pigtails. I turned around and pushed Brandon to the ground. I pushed him right into the sand. Sand was all in his hair, shoes and mouth. A teacher came over and sentenced me to time out. I was merely protecting myself from a boy that adored me too much. On Valentine's Day that year he brought me 3 fake roses and told me he would love me until they died. I thought he was stupid because the roses weren't living - then my mom explained to me what he meant. I don't know what happened to Brandon...what he's doing or whether he's dating someone now, but I do know he loved me very much. How was I certain? How many kindergarten boys give you fake flowers and serenade you every day? How many boys are that persistent when it comes to love? I hope that Brandon has found love from someone that actually wanted it.

A couple weeks ago Coby and I were watching a movie. I looked up at him and asked "why do you like me"...you know, only the most cliché question of all time. I didn't ask him because I was concerned or desperate to know...I just asked him cause I was curious what he would say. I was expecting some cheesy answer that would bring about laughter and tickling. He started to laugh and asked if I was serious. When he realized it wasn't a joke he said "I like you for what's in here" and pointed to my heart. He continued with a couple other reasons why he liked me - some legitimate reasons and others just to be silly. When I think about him, I think about that night and his answer. I think about what it means to like someone for what's on the inside and not just the outside. How am I certain he likes me? Why would he continue to talk to me while in Arizona? It'd be pretty easy for him to wipe his hands and be done with me...but he's stuck to his promise of  "nothing changes".

Today's devotion is from Isaiah 62:1-7, 11-12. With God things are different. We don't need to wonder whether God likes us or not. We don't need to know why He likes us. We don't even need to like him back. Even in times of uncertainty we can be certain that God loves us. With the Lord is where we belong. The Lord cares for us. The Lord rejoices over us. I don't know why you wouldn't love Him back - He doesn't yell at the neighborhood kids in flannel PJs or give us fake roses or cheesy reasons why we're adored, but He's provided life and relationships for us to have and to hold. On this snow day, I encourage you to find the kids that are down to play anything and stay away from the ones who only throw snow balls. I encourage you to share love with one another - bundle up near a fire, start a pointless conversation that results in laughter...spend time with the ones you love. Snow days won't last forever, but the memories you make with the ones you love will - this I am certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment