Monday, January 27, 2014

Message received?

Here's a summary of my weekend: it was great! However, some things happened that I just can't stop thinking about. I have to believe that there was some divine intervention going on. I'll let you decide.

Friday night: Maria's birthday.
When you're in college, part of a Greek organization and it's your birthday there's only one place to go: The Edge. The Edge is a bar right off campus, at ODU. It's the Greek hangout spot. We had a whole group of sisters that were enjoying the evening gabbing and dancing together while celebrating my big sister's birthday. My big sister's name is Maria and I honestly wouldn't be who I am today without her. She's the first person to encourage and support me in good decisions I make and the first to talk me out of bad ones. I could write an entire blog about how awesome she is, but I'll spare you the details...just know that she's an absolute treasure. Our group was standing in a circle so that we could all talk and toast to Maria's big day! I was near the back wall a couple feet away from one of the bouncers. He leaned over to me and said "you write a blog". I glanced around and asked him to repeat himself...cause surely he didn't ask me what I thought he had. He said "you're the girl that writes that blog". I smiled. He said "my brothers read your blog...what you're doing is awesome...keep it up." He then walked away to another location in the bar. I stood there with a goofy grin all over my face. Out of all the people in the bar that night...how did he pick me out of the crowd? Why did he pick me out of the crowd to tell me I was doing good things? Especially if he didn't even read this blog? Who are his brothers? All I know is that he made my night. God works through so many people and I was completely caught off guard by the bouncer at the Edge telling me I was delivering Good News.


Saturday night: Winterblast.
For those of you that don't know...winterblast is an annual country concert at the Hampton Coliseum. This year the show featured Kelleigh Bannen, Eric Paslay, The Brothers Osborne and Scotty McCreery. I love Scotty McCreery. My friend Kerry and I went to this concert and were seated in row 10, seats 14 & 15. A.K.A. right in the front middle of the arena. I don't think it was possible to have better seats. We arrived late to the concert because showering and eating took priority. We arrived in time to hear Kelleigh Bannen perform a song called "church clothes". This song gave me goose bumps. This song paints a picture of the ideal couple sitting in church sharing affection and communion, but being so broken outside the sanctuary walls. One of the lines in the song says, "These days we fight like hell, but nobody knows when we're wearing our church clothes". This song stuck out to me because I believe it to be true. When I was little my parents taught my sister and I to be on our best behavior in church. If Caroline and I were fighting at home, it could continue on the drive into Norfolk...but it ended when we got out of the car at church. Church was a place where you represented yourself, your family and God. I've never heard such an honest country song before - I encourage you to look it up. This song made me think about the roles society gives us. It made me think about the different clothes I wear to make people think certain things about me. It made me think about the couples and families that sit in the pew with me. What are they going through that you can't tell from their praying posture and sweater vest set? If my family came to church prim and proper, would you know the struggles we face every day? Would you care?


Sunday evening: Annika's house.
I have the privilege of babysitting the world's most adorable 4 year old. We are two peas in a pod...which is quite strange since she's 4 and I'm 22. We had a girl date, shared pinky promises and played way too many rounds of Go Fish. I tucked her into bed after reading a story about 999 frogs. I asked for a hug and she squeezed me very tightly. She laid back down and said "Ms. Katie, I love you a whole lot". I smiled and said "I'm so glad"! She rolled her eyes and said "aren't you going to tell me you love me too"? I got a good laugh out of this and told her I loved her too. Her response was priceless, "one day I'm going to be just like you". I don't think I'm someone to emulate, but I'll take the compliment. God works through this devilishly charming little girl to show me that even when I don't value myself, someone else does. She's 4, cheats at Go Fish and is afraid of animals...but she understands love and that it was meant to be shared.

The devotion for today is from 1 Samuel 3:8-10, 19-21. Sometimes I struggle to hear God's voice. And by sometimes, I mean all the time. And by the time I think I've heard Him talking to me...I wonder if I've received the right message. I just wonder if I've heard him clearly. This weekend I was having fun and enjoying time with friends that I haven't seen in a while. I didn't have my guard up - I was truly in the moment and I heard Him. I heard God talk to me through that bouncer and encourage me to continue sharing His Good News. I heard God in that song about the seemingly perfect couple. The song bothered me because I know people think that way. People think church is a place to show your face and be social. It's so much more than that. When you come to worship, you should come as you are. If you're tired and broken - God wants you in no other way. If you're happy and carefree - God wants you in no other way. We have this misconception that the rest of the congregation needs you to be strong or on your best behavior...when that's simply not true. We should be the same people whether we're dressed for Wal-Mart or when we're wearing our church clothes. This life was meant to be shared - our joys, our fears and our burdens - all of it. I am a member of First Lutheran not just to celebrate in the baptisms and the weddings...but to share love and prayer in moments of sadness and tragedy. I heard God in my sweet little mini-me. In her constant faith proclamations and love. She shares more love than any other child I've ever met. I admire her bravery and her passion. I wish that I was more open about my emotions and feelings. I wish that I had the courage to share that much love. God wants us to love unconditionally - if she ever found out her parents paid me to play with her...we'd really test whether her love was unconditional or not. I've learned that if you take the time to enjoy life...you start to witness God's presence all around you. You begin to understand that you're part of a bigger picture - you see, feel and hear God talking; I encourage you to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment