Sunday, December 29, 2013

Little moments

 

I'm guilty of wishing my life away. In elementary school, I couldn't wait to get to middle school. In middle school, I couldn't wait to be anywhere else. In high school, college was waaaay cooler. Now that I'm in college, I'm fairly content but I'd still like to speed up the process. I want to be independent, loved, established and secure. I wish these things could happen overnight - sadly, they take time. I have lots of time for shopping, diaper changing, essay writing but not enough time where it counts...with my mom. The only cool thing about serious illnesses or diseases is that the people affected tend to have no concept of time and enjoy the 'little things'...the things we take for granted. My granddad has dementia and has been long gone for quite some time. Sometimes we would pick him up for ice cream and he would talk about the colors of the leaves or the shades of the cars on the interstate. The changing colors of the leaves happens every year and they always turn the same types of colors...but that doesn't make them any less beautiful. I am guilty of not noticing the 'little things' because I'm so occupied with other things that ultimately don't matter.

The devotion for today comes from Revelation 21:1-5 and talks about heaven and earth. It talks about how both words shouldn't be separated because, together, they make up God's workplace. Eugene Peterson once said, "Heaven is not simply a dream to retreat to when things get messy on earth. We have access to heaven now".

Ask me for a list of my favorite things and you'll find that country music, key lime pie and high heeled shoes make the top. I'd venture to say that these things make up my heaven on earth. Each person has a different vision of heaven. I think moments spent laughing so hard you almost barf and painting your nails various shades of pink are pieces of heaven too. I think there can be two different types - a temporary heaven on earth and a permanent invisible playground with God. Heaven sounds sorta like a surprise destination honeymoon. You don't know where you're going, you're not sure what to bring with you and you don't really know what it will be like when you get there. To me, that's the best part. We all deserve surprises - especially after we work so hard in our daily lives. We work so hard that we forget how to play and enjoy the 'little things' in life that make it all worth while. Throughout my mom's fight against cancer, my family has had to slow down and take our time processing information. I still find myself missing many 'little things', but I'm learning to look for them.

I love smiles so much more than I used to - a smile can mean so much and truly reveals so much affection. I've found myself enjoying red lights while driving home because it's a time when I can sit and reflect. I enjoy moments spent with loved ones, not because we're watching a football game or tv series...but because we're just being together. I've learned so much over the past 4 months about life, love and little moments - but I haven't learned enough. God's given us the tools to succeed and find our own happiness on earth. I don't think those tools can be found in electronics, bakeries or books. I think happiness and pieces of heaven are seen through the people you surround yourself with at all times. Heaven can be found in moments alone with God in prayer, in a crowded room of family members just being together and in strangers who lead you to things you didn't know you were looking for. While I really enjoy a good key lime pie or a pair of navy wedges, I know that my happiness and heaven is found in those I love. The people I never knew I needed and the people God gave me to succeed. One of my resolutions for the new year is to stop wishing my life away - to enjoy the little moments of heaven that I'm given. I am so blessed to be a part of God's plan and given many opportunities to witness heaven on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment