Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Cindy Lou, Whoo?

Today I was out in the world experiencing Christmas from a consumer standpoint. It was chaos everywhere - the lines in every store were long and dysfunctional. Sales associates were seemingly pleasant as people flocked to displays with clearance and sale items desperate to find a suitable gift for that "special someone". It was almost comical to observe. I was walking through Nordstroms and heard a child say "WOAH, $120 dollars for a pair of slippers?" and the dad said "Well, it's for your mother!" Holiday cheer is all around. I'm a sucker for a great gift...I beam and then desperately search for words to properly thank the giver. I still remember one Christmas in particular. I must have been around the age of 6. I remember running down the stairs of our old house in Norfolk; I peaked around the corner and saw the most beautiful pink Barbie dollhouse. It was as big as I was. It was furnished with a bed, refrigerator, hot tub and Christmas tree (the necessities). I was so excited I ran to my dad, who was video taping at the time, and gave him the biggest hug I could. A few years ago we watched the footage from that Christmas and it looks like a level 8 Earthquake hit Virginia during that time. While the video made us all rethink our food choices - it was nice to see an adequate amount of appreciation.

My family watched 'The Grinch' (Jim Carey version) a couple days ago and it provoked several thoughts: Why didn't people discriminate the Grinch because he was green, hairy and looked nothing like any of the other whoos? Why weren't the old ladies first alarmed when he ate the ceramic Santa plate? Was 'The Grinch' an exaggerated example of consumerism throughout the holiday season? I feel like the cartoon Grinch is a completely different movie because none of the characters are really developed...except for the Grinch. In the Jim Carey version, you start to understand the characters and their struggles. I think the movie is an accurate representation of our society throughout the holidays - maxing out credit cards so that everyone has a "great Christmas", competing in light shows because it means you have "the most Christmas spirit" and judging others based on their interpretation of the season. Cindy Lou is sorta like Jesus in the movie - hear me out. She understands that there's got to be something more to Christmas than packages and bows. She extends a welcome hand to the Grinch, whether he deserves it or not, and continues to encourage him back to Whooville. When mocked, blamed and rewarded for her actions she stands tall and sticks to her beliefs. Cindy Lou is the hero of the story, at least to me. The Grinch comes back to Whooville with the gifts and falls back in love with Martha Mae. He comes to understand that love can conquer all things - but he wouldn't have come to that understanding without Cindy Lou. Likewise, we can't conquer anything without Jesus. He is love.

My family hopes to go to the Christmas Eve service this year. We've been every year I've been alive...it's just what we do on Christmas Eve. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. There's a special part of the service where we light candles and turn the sanctuary lights off. We sing carols by candlelight and it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Part of me is incredibly anxious for the lights to come back on because there are so many flammable things in the sanctuary, but the other part of me is completely at peace. We are all singing as one and providing our own light. The light is dependent on the wick remaining lit - without that light we wouldn't know the words to verses 2-4 of every Christmas carol. We have the same dependency on Jesus. I don't know the words, melody or rhythm to the rest of my life and I need Him to guide me. The bible says, "...the truth lives in us and will be with us forever." We were created in God's image, to me, meaning that we were brought into the truth, surrounded by unconditional love and forgiven of our sins. 2 John 1-6 also says, "I am writing to remind you, dear friends, that we should love one another. This is not a new commandment, but one we have had from the beginning." My devotion book wraps it all up by saying, "the truth without love is hard and ungracious and love without the truth is empty and meaningless." The truth can be found in our ability to show unconditional love towards friends and family that give us great gifts we'll remember forever. The truth can be found in our favorite holiday classics where love conquers all. The truth can also be found in the sanctuary of your second home. Honestly, I think truth can be found in all of us - we're all a little Grinchy at times, but we're able to show appreciation and love when it's deserved. We could all do a better job sharing it unconditionally, which is much MUCH harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment