Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Euyore vs. Tigger

We live in a world that's anxious to point fingers and blame innocent bystanders. We live in a world that demands answers for seemingly impossible situations. It'd be so nice if I could pin-point the person or thing that gives people cancer. If I could look that person in the eye and say some choice words - maybe I'd feel better. Cancer is like the big bully in school that you could never quite stand up to. They were always just a little too big, ugly and intimidating. When things don't go my way I find someone or something to blame. It's not right, but chances are you search for something to blame too. My first instinct isn't to solve the problem - it's to figure out who/what caused it and dwell on that for a while.

When Caroline and I were little we refused to go to sleep when we were told. Actually, we refused to do a lot of things (I spent a lot of time in time out) but bed time was always an unwritten 'option'. Our parents would sing to us, pray with us, tuck us into our beds and go downstairs to watch TV. Caroline and I were separated by a small hallway in our old house and I could hear the steps creak when my parents fled the scene. I would always invite Caroline into my room so we could play a little bit longer. Now, I know it comes across as me wanting to spend time with my sister...but I had other motives. I enjoyed playing with Caroline...on my terms. I was just lucky she was too little to figure out what those terms were. I invited her into my room because when my parents would catch us, she would be the one that got in trouble. I would always complain that she just came into my room wanting to play with me and kept me from sleeping. Caroline would sulk back to her room distraught that she was in trouble. I never wanted to be the one to compromise or get into trouble. My parents never grounded us or spanked us or really punished us in any way. When we were really young we were put in time out for a few minutes, but as we got older the whole "I'm disappointed in you" phrase was pulled out and we were putty in their hands. I'm not really sure when that phrase was started, but I remember thinking "would my mom be okay with this" on a regular basis through all ages of my life. This phrase probably explains why I've never had an reckless college nights or failing grades. I've been a straight arrow all of my life because I've never wanted to give my parents any reason to point fingers and blame someone or me for my behavior.

Tonight I reached for the devotional my mom gave me and found scripture from John. It's a passage all about blame, assumption and judgment. You see, the Pharisees judge a blind man, questioning why he was born without sight. They assume it's because of his sins or the sins of his parents. However, Jesus throws them a curveball - he spits on the ground, makes mud and rubs it on the blind mans eyes. The blind man washes the mud from his eyes and suddenly can see. Jesus says, "I entered this world to render judgment - to give sight to the blind and to show those who think they see that they are blind". I think a lot of the world is blind. I am blind most of the time. There are things I should see, people I should help and things I should do.

In this life I think there are two kinds of people. There are Euyores and Tiggers (Yes, this is a Winnie the Pooh reference). The Euyore people of the world are those that are always the victim of bad and upsetting situations. They are the ones that sit alone and wallow in self pity. The Tigger people of the world are those that don't let negativity slow them down. They choose to find the positive silver lining in every grim situation and keep moving forward with a spring in their step. When my mom was first diagnosed, my family was at the cross roads of becoming an Euyore group of people. Instead of caving into the pressures of grief and anxiety, we chose to be Cancerstrong Tiggers. My mom always encouraged my siblings and I to set goals and influence change. October 19 I invite you to attend an event that's aimed at effecting change for the Hampton Roads community. I am hosting a fashion show entitled Cancerstrong to celebrate with those that are survivors, honor those that have passed on and educate everyone else that doesn't understand anything about Cancer. I encourage you to come to this event and/or donate to the cause. I can't point fingers or blame anyone for my mom's Earthly departure, but I can do the best I can to change someone else's fate. Don't choose to be blind. Be the change. Be a Tigger.

John 9: 1-3, 6-7, 35, 39-41

#Cancerstrong Fashion Show Information
www.gofundme.com/Cancerstrong2014
www.facebook.com/Cancerstrong2014

No comments:

Post a Comment